Helen Smenda: Senior Lymphoedema Practitioner
Helen is a Registered Nurse, Senior Lymphoedema Practitioner, and Massage Therapist. She has had 31yrs nursing experience working in clinical areas/nurse education/academic and clinical research areas within Hospitals and Universities in New Zealand, England, Asia and Australia. She previously worked for 10yrs as an Oncology Clinical Trials Co-ordinator at Cabrini Hospital and has extensive knowledge of current cancer treatments in particular Breast and Melanoma.
She has completed post graduate studies in Nurse Education/Research in 1997, a Masters of Business in 2004, a Diploma of Remedial Massage, and she is a senior Lymphoedema Practitioner.
Helen is registered with AHPRA, ALA, NLPR, AMT, TAC, SWEP, NDIS, and is a fully registered health fund provider including DVA and Workplace Cover.
My philosophy is to strive to assist people to improve their health and to help them to heal. There are many techniques and products to manage Lymphoedema which can be a progressive condition. My focus is on getting some control over this condition back in the hands of those who suffer from Lymphoedema, with education, tools, emotional support and sensitive compassionate care.
My passion is on working with my patients to develop an individualised care plan, one that can be managed on a daily basis that becomes part of their lifestyle with many options for managing the swelling. I aim to help, so that people can get back to their lives, feeling better about themselves and with a better focus on their future goals and aspirations.
Helen Specializes in:
Management using techniques of Complete Decongestive Therapy, Low Level Laser Therapy, Garment prescription and fitting.
Post-operative Lipoedema management
Long term care plan management plans, Application of techniques of CDT, post-operative Lymphoedema management.
Relaxation, Remedial, Oncology, and Pregnancy massage. Tailor made treatment plan for injury management or rehabilitation.
Lymphoedema is managed by using techniques of Complete Decongestive Therapy.
•Education and advice on skin care, appropriate exercise and diet
•Assessment of limbs/Range of movement/current and past medical conditions/issues
•Assessment of limbs includes assessing limb volume/Extracellular fluid load
– Including Objective circumferential measurements/Bio-impedance measurement using an L-Dex U-400
• Manual Lymphatic Drainage
– a modified form of massage
• Applying Infra-red laser (model LTU-904), which is also called Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)
– In particular treatment of scars and fibrous lesions
•Application of Lymph taping/Kinesiotaping using Cure tape
• Compression bandaging
– Applying various types and techniques of bandages to reduce arm/leg volume, using Mobiderm/Coban/Comprilan
•Garment prescription and fitting
– Individual care plans focused on self-directed care and maintenance of this life long condition
– Prescription of an appropriate compression garment/wrap either ‘ready to wear’ or custom made
• Application of a Vascular Compression Pump
– Sequential Intermittent Pneumatic Compression (SIPC) therapy is the application of external pressure to limbs in order to improve the circulation of blood to the limbs and to move lymphatic fluid from the limbs and abdomen.
Management of Breast Cancer
• Individual care plans for women/men who are on the journey of breast cancer includes; pre-operative assessment, education on management and preventative strategies
• Post-operative Treatment and management of radiation burns/cording (axillary web syndrome)/breast/arm swelling/seroma’s/scar tissue management and mobilization and cellulitis